Thursday, February 28, 2013

Make Ahead Egg Breakfast Muffins


I wanted to call these a "quiche" only because I wasn't sure what else to call them.
They don't have a crust, just eggs, meat, veggies and a bit of cheese.
All delightfully made ahead of time and grabbed on the go during the work week mornings.


We like to  eat a couple of fried eggs in the morning, just something about that protein pack that really stays with you.
But, we were getting kind of bored with that every day.
So, then this friend posted an idea for a workout lean breakfast.  I loved it.
So, I tried my own version (below) and we loved the result.
Our daughter was home for the weekend (gluten and dairy free girl) and quickly scampered off with the ziploc bag of the 8 remaining "muffins" for her own work week.  Hey, I want her to eat healthily, so I was happy to share.  I whomped up another batch with some other ingredients.  This really is a technique that you could change up, depending on what you like, and what you have on hand. Think of the possibilities.... here's a couple ideas:
1)  black bean, corn, cilantro and hot peppers
2) bacon and three cheeses
3) Basil, diced tomato, mozzarella
4) Diced potato, cheddar cheese, chives and bacon bits

My advice?  Do these on Sunday morning, and serve hot, then cool the leftovers and put in the fridge for 'grab and go' breakfasts.



Ingredients
Make 12 muffins

11 eggs 
1/2 lb of sausage, or hamburger, or even diced bacon
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper (or 3 mini's), diced
Other things like:  jalapeno, cilantro or basil and sun-dried tomatoes
Salt and Pepper
12 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated (unless doing dairy free)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a muffin tin, or use paper muffin cups.
 
Saute the sausage or hamburger over medium high heat until cooked through.  Add in the diced onions and peppers and cook until the onions get limp and translucent.  Drain off any excess oil from the mixture. Add about 1/4 cup of the mixture in the bottom of each muffin cup.

In another bowl, beat 11 eggs (12 is just too many...) until well beaten. Add in salt and pepper, and any other spices like garlic powder.  I added my chopped cilantro here.  Add 1/4 cup over the top of the meat and veggie mixture. Top with a tablespoon of cheese, if desired.
 

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until puffed up and firm.  Try not to over bake. 


2 comments:

  1. These were so beautiful coming out of the oven - then they shriveled up on themselves. I used paper liners, do you think that is why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I've had that happen too. I use a silicon muffin tin with no liners, so I really don't think it's that. I've noticed it happen when I've over baked it a bit. Try a little less time next time, though you will always see them shrink a wee bit. Thanks!

      Delete