Thursday, September 12, 2013

Green Tomato Salsa




Got too many tomatoes?
Maybe you are just plain sick of coming up with things to do with all your tomatoes.
Plus, the season is wearing down, and you just might have a couple too many green tomatoes. Luckily, a friend of mine mentioned at a party that she was done with canning her tomatoes... so heck, I suck at growing my own tomatoes, so I asked for any green tomatoes that she wanted to unload.  Jackpot, she messaged me a couple days later and said she had a bunch for me!

Green salsa is just about my favorite type of salsa, but I thought it was the tomatillos that I loved.  What a surprise to find out it might be green tomatoes too. I want to make another batch to get through the winter months, my only issue with my first batch was that it was too mild.  Yep, even with almost 10 BIG jalapeno's (I didn't include the seeds), it wasn't as hot as we wanted.  If you like hot, you might want to try this recipe too, Green Salsa- Hot, Hot, Hot. It is made entirely of hot peppers, no tomatillos or green tomatoes.

Enjoy it with grilled meats and fish or straight from the jar as a dip for tortilla chips. Here's the Original recipe from the Ball Canning site.



Makes about 5 16 oz pints
Ingredients
 
8 cups chopped cored peeled green tomatoes (about 12 medium)
5 to 10 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 cups chopped onion (about 2 large)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup lime juice (about 3 limes)
1/2 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1 cup loosely packed finely chopped cilantro
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
3-4 tsp salt (or more to taste)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup white vinegar

6 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands (I actually got 5 full jars, and a partial jar)

Prepare two pots of boiling water.
One for canning (see below)
One for peeling your green tomatoes.  Once the water is boiling, drop in the green tomatoes into the boiling water, remove with a slotted spoon and let sit a couple of minutes.  Using a paring knife, cut a shallow "X" in the bottom of each tomato, that will make it easier to peel each one. Chop finely. You can dump the water from this pan, and use it to cook the sauce.
(if you use green cherry tomatoes, don't peel them, just mince in your food processor).

In the canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

Use a food processor to chop finely the peppers, onion and garlic. Set aside.   

 

Combine tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic and lime juice in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in cilantro, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.




Ladle hot salsa into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
 

4 comments:

  1. Would love to post to Pinterest but not able to. Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, I did get mine to pin on Pinterest. Give it another try! I just did a re-pin to make double sure.

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely delicious. I made one batch and it is almost gone and there are no more green tomatoes. :( Definitely use all the hot peppers called for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had more green tomatoes, I would love to have more too! I'm thrilled you liked it.

      Delete