Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Raspberry Vinegar- Great gift item!

Hey, I feel kind of bad.  I've been meaning to blog this since forever...
Well, at least since last Summer.
It's not too late, is it?
I mean can you still find raspberries where you are?
If so, you have time to make raspberry vinegar for Holiday gift giving!
The hold up posting this recipe is SO pathetic.  I needed to get to the craft store to buy some "cute" tags to write my recipe on for the bottles of vinegar.  I know... dumb.  I've given most of it away, and I was only saving one bottle to photographed in it's "perfect" gift giving stage before posting. It's a beautiful pink color of vinegar that you'd love to see.
Well, screw that... I'm ready to share.  

Ahemmmm, I apologize for swearing, if you consider screw swearing.  I don't.

Makes a gallon
Ingredients

1 gallon white vinegar (less 2 1/2 cups)
3 6oz containers of fresh raspberries.

In a new jug of white vinegar, pour off about 2 1/2 cups, retaining that for another use (like killing weeds, cleaning toilets/disposals/coffee makers or whatever) and carefully pop in the berries one by one.  Only stop when you see an especially great looking berry, and then EAT it!  Hahahaha.




Put it in a cool dark place for 2 weeks.  Strain the mix through a fine mesh sieve into a large clean pan or bowl (preferably with a pour spout).  Don't press down on the mixture, you want to have the vinegar remain as clear as possible and pressing on the berries will push through the solids and make it murky.  Discard the solids. You may want to strain it twice (after allowing it to "settle" one more time), the second time with cheesecloth if you want super crystal clear pink vinegar.

Pour back into the gallon jug, or pour into small individual glass containers to give as gifts.  I've found very nice glass bottles with stoppers at Cost Plus World Market, or at a Container/Storables store.  

Tie it with a little ribbon and a cute little card, include a recipe for a raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing like this one- 


1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
1/4 -1/2 cup white sugar (I don't like it too sweet.... I use 1/4 cup)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Dash of garlic salt

No comments:

Post a Comment