Thursday, September 29, 2011

Black & White Salmon


About 4pm yesterday, I was wondering what we were going to have for dinner.  I considered making reservations and not making anything at all. Yes, I too sometimes have zero inspiration for dinner.

But if I don't cook dinner, what will I blog about?
The things I do for you...

I figured I could do fish, because it thaws so quickly and you can even cook it partially frozen without too many issues.  So I started thinking about what I had, and what sounded good (besides someone else doing the cooking...).

I've had these black and white sesame seeds for a while. I can't even remember where I got them, but even using them about every couple weeks, I still can't get to the bottom of them.  So, I quickly made a marinade for my salmon, pressed the salmon into the sesame seeds on both sides and quickly oven roasted the fillets.  Problem solved, and a good looking, and tasting, dinner is served.


Serves 4
Ingredients
4 salmon fillets, skinless
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp chili paste (optional)
1 Tbsp honey
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1/3 cup sesame seeds, black & white, or all white

Preheat the oven to 400, or grill on a medium hot barbecue.

In a ziploc bag, add the salmon fillets and all the marinade ingredients, except the sesame seeds.  Massage the marinade into all sides of the salmon. Let sit for about 30 minutes. 

On a baking sheet, add a piece of foil with the edges crimped..
- - This is my way of avoiding washing another pan, it keeps the pan clean and I crumple up the foil and throw it away when I am done. Smart, huh?

Sprinkle about a couple tablespoons of sesame seeds on the foil, lay the marinated salmon fillets on top of the seeds, making sure to get seeds on the entire bottom of the fillets.  Press the remaining sesame seeds on the top of the salmon.  Bake at 400 for about 10 minutes.

I give my salmon fillets a poke with my finger in the center to see if they are done... the edges are firm and the center is still somewhat soft.  By the time you take it out of the oven and get it ready to put on the plate, your salmon will be perfectly cooked!


Here's some more of my favorite salmon recipes!
Lemon Rosemary Salmon
Maple Dijon Salmon Fillets on Spinach Salad
Salmon, Spinach & Garbonzos baked in foil

Salmon with Asian Ginger Lime Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment