Sunday, September 25, 2011

Three Citrus Tequila Grilled Chicken


What do you make when you have twenty-five people coming for dinner?
It was a family potluck at my house, which is always fun, but can be quite a crowd of noisy, loud eaters!  Everyone brings something, so it does take a bit of the work off of the hostess... still you do have to provide the main course which can be an overwhelming thought.

I know I could have done hamburgers, but frankly, hamburgers is way more work that grilled chicken! I've been doing this chicken for years, but this was the first time I actually paid attention to, and documented, the ingredients... yes, just for you!. 

This chicken is flavorful and moist with just the right amount of flavors... none of the flavors is over powering and this always seem to come out just right.  Combining the three citruses provides tang and sweetness both, which adds to the flavors.  I add plenty of crushed garlic, cilantro and pepper flakes too.  This is the first time I added the tequila, and while you can't taste it per se, it does add something to the dish. This dish is best if you marinate it for at least 4 hours, but overnight is actually best.  Make sure that you add enough salt and pepper, you want to make sure that the flavors meld together and permeate the chicken thoroughly.

Since Fall is now here, and maybe grilling season is over. I might suggest oven baking this as an option. I haven't tried baking this in the oven,  but I am pretty sure it would work out great. I would add it to a 9x13 baking dish, much like in my Marbella Chicken and bake for about 50-60 minutes, uncovered.

I tripled this recipe for my gathering, in case you are wondering from the picture below.  It was quite a party


Serves 6
Ingredients:
3 lbs Chicken Thighs, about 12
1 Lemon, juice plus zest
1 Lime, juice plus zest
1 Orange, juice concentrate
3-4 Garlic, crushed
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper, or red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup tequila

Mix together all the ingredients but the chicken, and stir to combine.  Add the chicken, making sure that it is completely saturated in the mixture.  I use a large covered bowl, or a ziploc bag for a smaller batch. Marinate about 4 hours, or preferably overnight.


Grill over medium heat for about  15-20 minutes, being sure to salt and pepper each side of the chicken as it grills.


Here's some other Chicken thigh recipes that I like to make too:
Balinese Grilled Chicken
Chicken Marbella
Sticky Coconut Chicken
Easiest Teriyaki Chicken


No comments:

Post a Comment