Thursday, September 22, 2011

Junior Mint Cupcakes


I like Junior Mints. I cannot lie.
But I don't even like peppermint, nope, I'm one of those spearmint people.
But I do like Junior Mints.

The cupcakes are dark chocolate and super moist, but the frosting is the thing.
The thing that you want more of.
The thing you want to eat with your fingers, a spoon, a bucket.
So light and delicious whipped cream frosting with a hint of peppermint. 
Cool and refreshing, and totally yummy!

I served these at a family function the other day, I had to make a double batch because I have a big family, and the last thing you want to do is to run out of cupcakes!  These were a hit, but a couple of us thought that you shouldn't eat the candy WITH the frosting, as the textures competed. The frosting is luscious and delicious and by comparison the candy seems waxy. 
It's an OK problem to have, I know, I know.
As we discussed this together, most people said they didn't have that problem  because they picked the candy off and ate it before eating their cupcakes...  Oh, I never thought of that! Probably because I ate half a box of these while making them!

With Cupcakes, I really do feel like it's all about the combining of ingredients, and not so much about the actual recipes.  I know many of you know that I like a certain Vegan Cupcake recipe, I think it's the bomb, therefore, I do not go looking for new recipes. So here it is again...


Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients:
Makes about 18 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon vinegar, white or Cider
Preheat oven at 350. Mix together all dry ingredients, then the water, oil and extract, then add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until uniformly moistened.  This batter was a bit more liquid than most batters, but it cooks up nice and moist! Fill each to about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way to the top. Bake for 20 minutes.




Let cool completely... and I mean completely, or your frosting is going to melt right off!

Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 cups heavy cream, very cold
1-2 big boxes of Junior Mint candies, or other peppermint patty candy

Combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract and peppermint extract in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Fit the mixer with the whisk attachment and mix on medium speed until smooth. While the mixture is still whipping, slowly pour in the heavy cream. Scrape down the bowl as you go, if needed, whipping until the frosting can hold a stiff peak.


Here's more popular cupcake recipes!
Boston Cream Cupcake with Chocolate Ganache
Coconut Cream Filled Cupcakes
Basic Vegan Cupcake Batter- Collection of Recipes
Margarita Filled Cupcakes
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
Reese's Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

4 comments:

  1. I tried these at yout house on Sunday, and lovd them. They are so moist! I picked the candy off and also tried it with a bite. Polly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice there are no eggs in your recipe. Is this correct? They look amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to be nit-picky, but in your instructions on making the frosting you have *almond* extract instead of peppermint...other than that, i can't wait to try these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @vinnicombewinkler- Yes, it IS correct without eggs in the recipe. Crazy, I know, but once I tried it I am hooked! These are moist and delicious, and so easy too!

    @Anonymous- I fixed those instructions... thanks for the heads up! ;)

    ReplyDelete