Monday, November 7, 2011

Piper's Sourdough & Sausage Stuffing


This is tangy, spicy, crunchy and oh so yummy!  This is hands down my favorite thing to eat at Thanksgiving with a little turkey and gravy.  Pretty much you can keep all the other things, this is what really matters to me.

I'm pretty sure that almost everyone has their most favorite family recipe for Thanksgiving, but in case you don't, I am sharing mine.

We've been deep frying our turkey for quite a few years, so I've had to make some changes to how we do stuffing.  But, most experts really do frown upon actually stuffing your turkey and then trying to roast it.  It takes too long to get the whole thing to the proper temperature, and by the time your stuffing is a safe temperature, your turkey is now overcooked.  This recipe is one that I bake in casserole dishes, and it works out moist, flavorful and crispy in all the right places, with just enough flavor, and kick, to make it a side dish that is important to the big day. 


Makes 2 large dishes
Serves about 10-12 with leftovers
Ingredients:

2 lb loaf of sourdough bread, cubed
1 lb.Italian sausage, hot or mild (of course, I use HOT)
2-3 onions
3 cups celery, chopped (the small inner stalks with leaves are great!)
1-2 tsp sage
1-2 tsp thyme
3-4 cups chicken stock
Salt & Pepper

Chop veggies and saute


Add meat and cook until pink no longer remains.


Add bread cubes and mix thoroughly,


Add broth until thoroughly moistened. Don't worry about it being too soggy, it will dry up a little bit in the oven when you bake it.


Add to a greased baking dish and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25-30 minutes.  You might want to cover it with foil if it looks like its getting to crispy, but my family loves that part the best.

1 comment:

  1. Can I come to your house for Thanksgiving? There will be only cornbread dressing where I'm going. :-(

    ReplyDelete