Sunday, November 13, 2011

Lasagna Soup with Spinach Ricotta


It all started with the cutest  little noodles I ever saw.
I mean, just look at them!  Like teeny, tiny lasagna noodles.  The package said "Casserole Lasagna Noodles", but I wanted to make soup. I LOVE soup!
I like lasagna too, but frankly, it can be tedious to make, and then it's kind of stodgy and too filling.  It's also kind of hard to reheat.  Putting all the ingredients in soup is faster, easier and probably better for you too!

I've seen a bunch of recipes for Lasagna Soup out there, but they were missing something for me.  My recipe includes a Spinach and Ricotta topping that really makes the dish!  It gives it the creaminess that a good lasagna has, to the soup and gives it a bit of color too. 

A couple of things to remember for this soup; Be sure to drain your ground meat after you cook it.  I didn't and there was a bit more fat floating on the soup that I was happy with! Noodles, you can cook them directly in the soup if you like, but only do that if you are planning on serving the entire pot of soup that night, otherwise the noodles have an objectionable habit of absorbing the liquid and become HUGE and then break to bits when you reheat it.  If that doesn't bother you, then go for it.  I boiled my noodles separately and added a handful to each bowl before ladling in the soup.

This soup came together in about 30 minutes, and while I was chopping onions, I also prepared another dinner to put in my crockpot for the next day.  How clever was I?  Since you are already chopping onions, might as well throw half in the soup and the other part in the crockpot.  I made Hot Links, Red Beans and Rice that night.  Both fantastic, quick & easy dinners!


Serves about 6
Ingredients
1 lb. lean ground beef, drained
1/2 lb sausage (optional), drained
1 cup diced onion (about 1/2 a large)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 Tbsp Pesto, or 1 Tbsp fresh basil, minced
1 28oz. canned tomatoes, chopped or crushed
4 cups water, or beef broth.
   (If using water, add 1 Tbsp Beef base concentrate)
1 15 oz container Lowfat Ricotta
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup mozzarella
Salt and Pepper

More cheese for serving, either more mozzarella or grated Parmesan.

Brown the ground beef and sausage (if using) for about 5 minutes, add the chopped onions and garlic and saute until the onions soften.  Drain any fat from the mixture. 

Add the tomatoes, the broth, the Italian seasoning and the pesto.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Add noodles to the soup at this point, or cook them separately in another pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.

In a food processor, add the spinach and pulse to chop it a bit.  Add the ricotta cheese, the mozzarella and salt & pepper.  Pulse to combine and mix completely. 

Ladle soup into bowls, add noodles and top with spinach ricotta mixture and a sprinkle more cheese.

Here's some other great main course soups.
Albondigas, Mexican Meatball Soup
Bacon Corn Chowder
Bean with Bacon Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Hearty Sausage & Lentil Soup
Italian Wedding Soup with Turkey Meatballs
Mexican Chicken Posole Stew
Pork and Chorizo Soup
Portuguese Linguica Sausage, Bean and Kale Stew 

4 comments:

  1. Do you think I can find those lovely little noodles at my local Walmart? I love soup too so definitely want to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula! The brand is 'Betty Baker' Casserole Lasagna Noodles. I bought them at The Grocery Outlet... kind of an off price grocery store. Hard to say if they are available at Walmart. Any small noodle should work, or even broken regular lasagna noodles. Just not as cute, darn it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found something online that also called mini lasagna noodles "mafalda" pastas. I hear that Creamette brand makes one. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excuse me, LASAGNA SOUP? GENIUS!!!!!

    Sorry, I'm enthusiastic when it comes to breakthroughs such as this. Any ideas on how to make a veggie friendly version? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete