Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Mexican Cornbread


Thanks to my oldest (in a nice way...) buddy Kelly for bringing this dish to our last get together with some other couples.  She even offered to bring the White Bean Chicken Chili too, she's such a doll.  Not one other girl like that one, I gotta tell you.

I've known her over... ummm, over 40 years. 
Saying almost 50 years just doesn't sound right to me.  

We are just too immature for that.
I'm older... by 9 months... same year.  Doesn't that equal that we are the same age?
Yup, I agree.

She offers to bring the dinner, you coyly ask only for cornbread. In she walks in with fancy wines, homemade brushetta and salami, sugared almonds cornbread and still warm Frango chocolate cookies.
Just like always... not always the way things, just an amazing variety of giving... always.
She's all that and a bag of chips.
Still, she could bring a six pack of Diet Pepsi, and I'd still think she was amazing.
Thanks for being an amazing friend Kelly... OXO

On to the cornbread... the best corn bread EVER! Kelly sent me the recipe, one that she found online.  I'm not sure exactly where, so I am sorry I can't give credit here; except to Kelly for finding it, making it, sharing it and even leaving me some leftovers.

Be prepared to beat others off the leftovers of this moist, sweet, cheesy and spicy cornbread with a wooden spoon and hide it for yourself.  It's is the BEST cornbread, I ever, ever, ever had.  I want more.

It's worth buying canned creamed corn for this, even though I am NO fan of the stuff. It is so delicious in this. Next time, I might try thawed frozen corn, blended chunky smooth next time.  Might be less sweet, but I always have frozen corn on hand. 

9x13 pan
Ingredients:
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
1 Tablespoon honey
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cup cornmeal
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 cup pepper jack cheese (grated)
1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn 
1/2 (4 ounce) can chopped jalapenos (drained)

Large bowl:  
Cream together butter and sugar
Bend in eggs, milk and honey.


Med bowl:
Sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt

Add flour mixture to butter, sugar, egg, milk and honey mixture..
Stir till just blended (batter will be lumpy)

Stir in cream corn, jalapenos and cheeses.

Pour batter into buttered 9x13 baking pan
Bake at 300 for 1 hour (or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean)

1 comment: