Sunday, December 1, 2013

Smoky Shrimp, Corn Chowder with Bacon


I wish my picture was better.
I wish you could taste how wonderfully delicious this soup is.
So easy, you could easily have these ingredients in your fridge/freezer all the time.
My hubby suggested I add this one into my weekly repertoire of things to make.
I was already there at my first bite of the soup.
I can see how this one will become a regular at our house, and, as a food blogger, that is saying something.  I'm usually on the prowl for something new ideas to cook.
Nope, this one deserves to made all the time. 
I found this recipe at Bevcooks.com, which is a wonderful food blog, I like the way she writes and her photos are awesome.  
I wish my photo was better.... but I was rushing to get this gem on the table.


Serves 2-4
Ingredients


4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
1 pinch crushed red pepper (optional)
2 cups frozen corn, use pre-roasted, if available
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup half and half (or cream)
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Garnish- Chopped Parsley, cilantro or green onions


Pat the prawns dry and pre-season.


Heat a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon from the pan and set aside on a paper towel to drain. Drain all but 1Tbs. bacon fat, if you have that much in the pot.

Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the shrimp to the pot and sear on one side for 2 minutes. Flip and sear 30 more seconds. Remove shrimp from pot and set aside.



If you need to add a little oil (or bacon fat) to the pot, do so. Add the onions to the pot and sauté 5 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, crushed red pepper and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté another minute.
Add the corn, stock and half & half to the pot. Stir to combine. Keep on a low simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
If you have an immersion blender, place it in the pot and pulse it a few times until about half of the soup becomes creamy, still leaving whole kernels as well. If you don’t have an immersion blender, ladle about a cup and a half of the soup into a blender and pulse until creamy. Pour back into the pot and stir to combine.
Serve chowder with the shrimp and reserved bacon crumbles. 
Garnish with chopped cilantro, parsley or basil, if desired.



1 comment: