Monday, December 9, 2013

Lazy Girl Balsamic Pot Roast (Shredded Beef)


I don't like balsamic vinegar.
I just don't.
Stop trying to tell me why it's great and I need to "have it this way".
I do not like it Sam, I am.
I do not like it here, or there.
I've been saying this for a long time.

But now, I do have to take that back.
Because, you see, I DO like it in this recipe.

I happen to be a big pot roast fan, so when I saw this original recipe on Pinterest, I felt the need to try it regardless of my dislike of balsamic vinegar.  I could see where the salty, sweet, tangy darkness of the balsamic might actually work really well in this recipe.
Plus, the whole crock pot "easy" vibe had me hooked.


Serves 4-5
Ingredients
2-3 lb beef chuck roast
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, pressed

Whisk together all the ingredients and add to the bottom of a slow cooker. Add roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove roast, either slice or shred with a fork, return to juices.  Serve and enjoy. The gravy is delicious with mashed potatoes too!

I used a gravy separator to reduce the amount of fat in the gravy.  One other idea, after draining off the fat, if you'd like a thicker gravy try adding a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with a tablespoon of water and bring to a boil over med high heat while whisking.

No comments:

Post a Comment