Saturday, December 7, 2013

Trader Vic's Hot Buttered Rum Mix



Growing up, I remember my parent's loving the pre-mixed Trader Vic's hot buttered rum mix in the little low white and brown plastic container.  As a kid, I liked to drink this stuff, however, I didn't get the rum. Darn it.

For the last three of decades since I've been able to add my own rum, we've been drinking the ice cream hot buttered rum version, which happens to be pretty darn good too, just different.
I'd been thinking of the Trader Vic's version lately and Googled it... apparently the recipe was originally published in the now defunct Gourmet magazine in 1946!

This took me in the way back machine as the memories of sipping this sweet spicy mix on a cold day came flooding back.

This makes about the easiest Christmas gift ever.... friends, neighbors, house warming gifts, you name it! My recipe version is a double batch, which will make about 4 cups of mixture.  
I suggest you keep one for yourselves, and make three other people very happy.  
Tie a little card on the top and add a pint of spiced rum, and you will have happy and warm friends.  

Card/tag instructions should read:  1 Tbsp hot buttered rum mix, 1 shot spiced rum (1-2oz) and 6 oz of boiling water.  Mix thoroughly and enjoy!


Makes about 4 cups, enough to give as gifts, and keep some for yourself too!
Ingredients:
     
2 Pound Brown Sugar
1 cup (2 cubes, 1/2 lb) Pound Butter
Pinch of Salt
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Cloves

Cream butter, sugar, salt and spices together until smooth and fluffy. 


Refrigerate until needed. 

Preheat 6 oz. mug with boiling water. Drop 1 tablespoon of batter in mug, add 1-1/2 oz.rum, stir and fill with hot water.

Need some regular ideas?  "Like" my Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment