Sunday, November 30, 2014

Spicy Country Sausage Gravy & Black Pepper Biscuits


I happen to think I make the best country gravy around.
I'm sorry, I just do.
Every time I order it some place, I'm so disappointed in what it is.
Frankly, it's too plain and boring.
Not mine, my recipe is exciting with lots of flavors.

But hey, if you like plain, go ahead and do it the basic way.
This one takes it up a notch.

Also, I'm sure some of you will comment on the fact I am using Bisquick.... yep, I got it, I'm cooking it.  While I DO make very nice biscuits on my own, nothing can beat the ease and consistency of Bisquick mix all ready to do. In your pantry, calling your name.

Also, for those who are Gluten Free, I have made this sausage gravy quite successfully using gluten free flour as a substitute, of course, you will have to make GF biscuits too.

This is our holiday treat breakfast, we don't do it that often, but it happens to be quite popular with the gang.

(The green onions are for garnish, and I didn't use the butter, but used the sausage oil instead.)
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
1 lb pork sausage, mild or hot
1/2 med onion, chopped small
1/2 cup celery, including leaves, chopped small
2-3 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (omit if using hot sausage)
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
2 cups milk
Salt & Pepper (if needed, I usually don't add it)


Before your start the sausage gravy, make your favorite recipe with about 1-2 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper. Make your biscuits.  I make mine in a square and cute into 9 pieces.  Saves a lot of time of rolling and rerolling the scraps with round biscuits. Just sayin.


 Cut the onions and celery into a small dice.


Fry up the sausage, breaking it into chunks as it cooks.  When it's almost cooked through, add the onions and celery and cook for another 3-4 minutes. NOTE- You should have 1-2 Tbsp of oil in the bottom, you can either drain it off and add butter to make a roux with the flour. Add the flour and stir to combine, cooking another 2-3 minutes. 


Slowly add the milk, stirring as you go.  Cook for about 2-3 more minutes until the sauce starts to thicken. 

See?  With square biscuits you get lots of nice corners and edges to get golden brown!


No comments:

Post a Comment