Saturday, November 22, 2014

Mexican Broccoli Corn Salad


A bunch of broccoli was chilling in my fridge, staring me down every time I opened the door. 
I have to admit I don't love broccoli.
But I do eat it because someone else loves it so much.  If I have to eat it, I wanted something different with my broccoli; something more spicy, savory, a salad.  Something that could almost be used as a light lunch, or a meatless entree.

Here's my creation.  I'd suggest making a batch of my Chipotle Sour Cream and using it in this salad, plus it's a great condiment to have on hand for chips, tacos, even scrambled eggs.



Serves about 6
Ingredients

3-4 cups Broccoli flowerettes
1 cup corn, fresh or frozen/thawed
1 cup chopped red peppers, fresh or roasted, (or cherry tomatoes)
1 cup sour cream
1-3 chipotle peppers, minced and mixed with sour cream
1/2 - 1 cup sliced olives, drained
1/2 lime, juiced
1 can black beans, rinsed and  drained
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated, or small cubes
Salt & Pepper 

Cut the broccoli into small bunches, something bite size.  Steam in some hot water for 3-5 minutes.  You want to soften it a bit, but have it still bright green.  Drain in a colander, and run cold water over it immediately to stop the cooking. 


In a bowl, add the drained beans, chopped peppers (or tomatoes), drained olives, chipotle sour cream, lime juice and corn.  Add the steamed broccoli and toss.  Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve at once, but also keeps for a couple days in the fridge.  Good for work day lunches.




No comments:

Post a Comment