Sunday, June 21, 2015

Grilled Watermelon Salad


Sounds kinda funny, huh?

My BFF came over with wine and a watermelon and said "have you ever heard of grilled watermelon salad?". 

Well, no actually.  So we did it.
YUM.
We all decided we just might like watermelon grilled better than fresh!
Still refreshing and yummy but with more depth and complexity.  So great with a bit of salty cheese and some sweet tangy vinegar.

This posting is more a technique and not a recipe.

Start with a simple tossed green salad- I used olive oil, seasoning salt and a small squeeze of lime.  I also added in some green onions and some italian parsley for good measure. Grill and cube the watermelon, add to salad, top with crumbled feta and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

We grilled the watermelon, cut into a big 1 inch slab for 2-3 minutes, just long enough to get some grill marks, but not long enough to make it all hot and mushy.  

Need a real recipe?  I loosely used this one from the Food Network. I didn't reduce my balsamic vinegar, just feeling too lazy, too hot and too ready to eat, but I bet that's good too.

 A little crumbled feta, or goat cheese would be good too.


 Here's the salad, ready to go once the watermelon comes off the grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment