Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Salsa Salad


So,  you like salsa?
I mean really like salsa?

I do, I really do.
I mean, the kind of DO that makes me want to pull the salsa at a Mexican restaurant over to my plate and eat it with a spoon. Usually, I am able to contain myself...

I always joke about "my top 5" favorite foods (ask my hubby), but consistently tomatoes, cilantro, lime and jalapenos are on that list.  I will admit, my top five does shift with the day/time/season/mood, but these ingredients are the consistent winner.s

So, here's a salad of the best that salsa has to offer; tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, lime, add a little shredded lettuce, some oil and seasoning, and viola you have a salad and you're ready to go.It will satisfy your fresh, tangy, spicy and summer taste bud vibe.  Enjoy!
We served it with a little grilled fish and had a happy, healthy and satisfying dinner.

There is only a picture of the finished salad today, I didn't even know I was going to blog it until the very end, when I took my bite of my creation. I never heard of a salsa salad before, so therefore, that is what I called it.

Makes 2 big servings, or 4 side salad sizes
Ingredients

1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
2 jalapenos, seeds and stem removed, diced small
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
2 limes juiced
1-2 Tbsp olive, or vegetable, oil
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt and Pepper
1-2 cups romaine, shredded into 1" bits

*You could also add some diced white onion, or green onions, if you liked. 

Cut up tomatoes, add minced jalapenos, cilantro, oil and lime juice.  Add a little salt, pepper and cumin and let marinate for 5-10 minutes.  It should taste quite lively and flavorful.  If not, add a bit more salt and seasoning and taste again.

Chop/shred your lettuce (I used baby romaine), toss with the tomatoes and serve at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment