Thursday, June 4, 2015

Roasted Broccoli with Anchovies & Lemon




I had this last night for the first time at a friend's house. Thank you Kristy.
Tonight, I rushed home to make it for us for dinner.
All I can say is YUM, YUM, YUM!

I think even if someone didn't like anchovies they might still like this... 
Okay, you'd have to trick them into tasting it.  
But they would like it!  
I'd suggest using anchovy paste and mixing it well (can you say invisibly?) with the olive oil and lemon juice.  They won't be able to see it.... hahaha.  I am not against trickery, which is funny, because I don't remember liking it too much when my Mom did it to us. 
Except, you know what?  I like just about everything these days, so I guess that ole saying of "try it, you'll like it" just might be right.

One note, don't add any salt, you will get enough from the anchovies. If people like it more salty, they can add it at the table.  I don't think this one needs any added salt.

 
Serves 2-4 
Ingredients
 
1 large bunch broccoli, in small florets
1 tin of anchovies, or about 2 Tbsp anchovy paste
1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes (optional)
1 Lemon juiced, about 3 Tbsp
3-4 Tbsp Olive oil
2 Garlic cloves, minced
Fresh pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Coat a large baking try with oil.  Throw it in the oven and heat it up for 5 minutes while you prep the rest.

In a large ziploc bag, or a bowl, mix the olive oil, minced garlic, minced anchovies, red pepper flakes, fresh black pepper and lemon juice until well combined.  Add the broccoli and mix well until the broccoli is well coated with the anchovy oil mixture.  If any of it looks "dry"  add a bit more oil.


Carefully remove the already very hot pan from the oven, and dump out the broccoli on the hot pan.  Spread out each floret so that it has space to crisp and brown.  Add the pan back to the hot oven.


Roast for about 15-20 minutes in the very hot oven.  You can crisp it under the broiler, if you want to hurry it along, or want a touch more crispness. Serve at once, or it's quite nice at room temperature too.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment