Sunday, January 1, 2012

Chipotle Cocoa Pork Tenderloin


Hey, I got a new house, with a really nice kitchen and a Viking range!!!!
Best Christmas present ever!

 I am so happy to have room to move and to finally have enough cabinets for all my dishes, pots & pans and drinkware!  Woo HOO!  Can't wait to see what trouble I can get into now.

Here's a little picture of my stove while I was cooking this! I'm not 100% moved in, but getting there.  I asked my hubby if he could install a pot filler spigot over the range, and he said "sure" with a big smile!  Nice... I love living with Mr. Fix-it. 


Here's another better shot of the kitchen that I took before we moved in. P.S. That stuff on the counter is not mine!


I found this great recipe, but it called for Chipotle Chili powder, which I don't have, so it got me thinking of how to use the canned Chipotle chilies in Adobo sauce that I almost always have on hand!  Have I mentioned that I like chipotle before? Oh? I have...

This is a simple dish to make.  Marinate the meat the night before, or in the morning.  Brown the pork and then finish in the oven.  The marinade makes into the sauce so easily and frankly it was not too spicy, almost Mexican mole sauce-like with the sweetness and the cocoa.  Don't worry about using the marinade that had raw meat in it, because you are boiling it, it is completely safe to eat.



Serves about 4-5
Ingredients
1-2 Tbsp canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, minced (about 2-3 chilies)
1-2 tsp adobo sauce
2 Tbsp honey
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tbsp olive, or canola oil, divided
2 - 2 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed of excess fat

Sauce:
Leftover marinade from above

2/3 cup red wine, or broth
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. 
Line the inside of a sheet pan with aluminum foil for easy cleanup.

Mince the chilies.


Place chipotle chilies adobo sauce, honey, cocoa powder, cinnamon, garlic powder, cumin, salt
and half the oil in a ziploc bag.  Mix to combine. Add the pork and make sure the mixture has coated the meat all over.  Place in the fridge overnight or at least 6 hours.
In a grill pan or large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat, warm remaining tablespoon of canola oil. Place the tenderloin in the skillet and cook, turning it over to ensure even browning on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes. Place the meat on the baking sheet, and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes until the internal temperature is about 145.  Let the meat rest for 5-7 minutes covered with foil while you make the sauce.


 According to the new USDA guidelines, pork chops, roasts, and tenderloins can safely be cooked to medium-rare at 145 degrees, not. 160,

Take the leftover marinade and add to the same pan that you browned the meat in.  Add the leftover marinade to the pan over medium high heat with the wine and the red wine vinegar whisking until the mixture comes to a boil.  Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.  If it is too spicy, you could add another tablespoon of honey.





Cover the pork tenderloin with a tinfoil and let rest for 5 to 7 minutes before slicing for extra juicy pieces. 


Here's some other favorites with pork tenderloin:
Tequila Lime Pork with Mole Sauce
Pecan-Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Bourbon Sauce
Pork Tenderloin with Cheese Polenta & Sauteed Kale
Cuban Glazed Pork Tenderloin and Grilled Fruit Salsa



1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous kitchen!!! The pork looks fabulous and just slightly off the beaten path, which I like.

    ReplyDelete