Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Lemon, Onion & Cucumber Salad



I love the Vancouver BC food blog, Everybody Loves Sandwiches.  She blogged about this recipe last Spring, but it just sounds like a terrific light salad for February when we're enjoying some great weather and it feels like Spring. When I read this it was immediate love... and I just happened to have everything for this on hand.  I love recipes like that.  I don't share her aversion to cucumbers, or the seeds, so I left mine in. 

This may seem like quite a bit of lemon zest and juice, but adding a bit of honey does something wonderful to the combination and accents the cucumbers and the sweet onion. I'm going to make this again and again. I might try red onions next time, or even thin slices of sweet red bell pepper.

I'm going to take another photo when I do... I'm not sure what I was thinking with the above photo. I apologize it's so blurry.



Ingredients
Serves about 4

1 English cucumber, thinly sliced on the diagonal
   or 4-5 Persian cucumbers
1/2 sweet onion, sliced into thin strips
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp honey,  sugar, or Stevia
Salt & Pepper and seasoning salt, if desired
(I used Greek Seasoning because I love it...)


Zest your lemon, use a microplaner, it makes it goes so fast and makes great zest.  Juice your lemon into a small mixing, or serving bowl.  Add the sliced onions, zest and cucumbers. Add the olive oil, honey and seasoning.  Toss.  Let sit for 5-10 minutes and serve.

The leftovers of this salad tasted good the next day, but the textures of the cucumbers and onion weren't quite as good as it was when it was fresh!

Here's some other fresh salads I like like are Vegetarian or Vegan friendly:

Apple, Cabbage & Hazelnut Coleslaw

Couscous Black Bean Salad
Grilled Greek Potato Salad
Grilled Peach & Pecan Green Salad
Grilled Vegetable Couscous Salad

Kale, Cherry & Almond Salad
Orange, Fennel, Ginger & Arugula Salad

Southwestern Edamame Salad
Spaghetti Squash Salad with Arugula & Cherry Tomatoes
Spicy Coleslaw



No comments:

Post a Comment