Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Zucchini and Black Bean Saute- Vegan Main Dish


So I've been thinking about Vegan dinners for a long while.  
I really have no intention of becoming a Vegan, but I do know, and love, enough of you "Veganites" that I view making good meals, quickly and nutritiously, as a fun challenge.

I just happen to love butter, cheese, eggs, cream and yogurt too much.  I do also like ... meat. Sorry for that, but I don't look down on you for choosing to be a Vegan, so let's just keep it mutual, okay?  I am excited to make some yummy stuff that is good for us all.

I'm going to make at least 5 Vegan meals this month, and I will share with you.  This one was so good that I think I will enjoy it as much as you.


There is a little bit of chopping for this dish, but it's not too hard at all.  I had a couple tomatoes that needed to be used up, but you could also use canned (drained) diced tomatoes too.  When I make brown rice, I usually make a large pot and freeze the leftovers in 2 cup portions in a ziploc bag.  If you flatten them, they defrost very quickly in your microwave.  This whole dinner took less than 20 minutes because the rice was made.  This saute of veggies and  beans would also be a nice side dish for a bigger dinner too.



(Not shown- garlic, salt and pepper)

Serves 4-6
Ingredients

1 cup diced red onion
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium zucchinis, diced (about 2 cups)

1 cup diced tomatoes
1 14oz can of black beans, rinsed
1/4 cup green onions

1/2 lemon, juiced
 Salt & Pepper 

Over medium high heat in a deep fry pan, or a dutch oven, saute the onions in the olive oil until they start to soften, about 3 minutes.  Add the minced garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes longer.  Add the zucchini and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring.  Add the tomatoes and cook another couple minutes.  The zucchini should still have some almost firm texture and be bright green.  Add the black beans and cook until the mixture is hot throughout.  Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately over rice.

Here's some more Vegan friendly dishes that I like:
Carmelized Green Onions, Tomato and Zucchini
Moroccan Vegetable Stew
Red Quinoa and Butternut Salad

Spaghetti with Sun-Dried Tomato-Almond Pesto
Spaghetti Squash, Arugula & Tomato Salad

Ratatouille

No comments:

Post a Comment