Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mango Salsa


My inspiration was another rainy day.
I'm really getting to be done with all that, when does spring arrive?
Two months... gawd, I hope I make it.

Driving home I was thinking of dinner, as I know many of you do too.
I wanted something fresh, bright, colorful and zippy.... and low calorie.
That's kind of a tall order, eh?  And...
I didn't really have to much to work with, I've been needing to get to the store.
But...
I did have frozen mango, which I normally use for smoothies.  
Could I use frozen mango in salsa?
Why not?
It worked perfectly for our pan seared salmon, but would be great on chicken or pork too.
And heck, don't forget CHIPS!  Of course it's good for chips.
I will even admit that I took the leftovers to work and ate it like a salad.
Because that's that the spicy kind of gal I am!


Makes about 2 cups
Ingredients

1 1/2 cup chopped mango, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup tomato, diced
3 Tbsp cilantro, minced
2 jalapenos, minced
1 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp garlic powder, or fresh minced
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, optional
Salt and Pepper, to taste

If using frozen mango, let it sit out for 15minutes, or zap it in the microwave for 15 seconds.
Chop it all up and stir to combine.  Adjust the seasonings to your liking and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before serving to develop the flavors.

Note- If you want a juicier salsa, you could add a couple tablespoons of orange, or pineapple, juice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment