Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Lazy Girl Crockpot 40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken


I've been seeing this recipe for years, but geez, 40 garlic cloves???
Apparently James Beard, culinary guru, made it famous years ago.  
There's lots of recipes out there for it, almost all the same.  
Here's another... but I chose to use chicken thighs and use my crock pot for another take on easy. Any type of chicken would work, but I do recommend that you use bone-in and skin on to make sure it stays tender. Don't be afraid of cooking this in your crock pot, I was amazed how much liquid was in there when it was done, even though I didn't add any liquid before turning on the crock pot.

Don't be afraid of this much garlic.... really, because I am NOT a huge garlic lover and I liked this a lot.  Next time, I might try a bit of white wine while cooking it, or a big squeeze of lemon.  Something to brighten it up a bit.  But, it was really, really, good, tender and easy chicken to make for a weekday dinner.  The house smelled terrific when we got home.


I'm so lazy, I bought my garlic already peeled. 
Do it...
It's awesome; saves time, keeps your hands smellin' sweet.
And wow, that "easy" button is off the charts. It was $2 for a whole tub, and I used about 1/3 of it in my recipe.

Most recipes don't say anything about using the cooked onions and garlic for a sauce, but I thought it smelled and tasted too good to throw out. So, I skimmed off the fat and blended it until smooth. It was the perfect sauce to serve with potatoes, noodles or rice served with your chicken.




Serves 3-4
Ingredients

6-8 chicken thighs, bone-in with skin
1 onion, sliced
30-40 garlic cloves
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper

Pat dry your chicken thighs, trimming off any excess chicken skin.  Season each thigh with salt and pepper on both sides. Slice the onions, and prep your garlic (if you have to peel it).

In a skillet over medium high heat, brown the chicken skin side down until it gets a little brown.  Do the same thing on the other side, if you want to, but it's not that important.



While your chicken is browning, add a tablespoon of oil to your crockpot, add in the sliced onions, garlic cloves, topping with the browned chicken thighs. 


Turn on your crockpot to low and cook for 8 hours. I think you could do this on High heat in 4-5 hours, but since I was at work all day, I opted for the slow cooking method. This is what it looked like when I got home.  NOTE:  There is a fair amount of chicken fat in here, but it's easy to skim off.


Sauce:
Skim off as much chicken fat as you can, add in 1/4 cup wine white and blend until smooth.  Adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper, as needed. 



More from a Lazy Girl Crock Pot recipes:
Black Bean Chili
Mamacita's Mexican Chicken and Dumplings
Tuscan Pot Roast
All Veggie (Vegan) Chili
Chicken with Coconut, Lime & Peanut Sauce
Greek Pork and Garbanzo Stew
Hot Links, Red Beans and Rice
Salsa Chicken
Sesame Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment